Final Blog Reflection

It is sad to know that my days of being a Global Scholar at Polytechnic are coming to an end, but nevertheless, the experiences it has brought me have been nothing short of unforgettable. From the GIP events run by my fellow Global Scholars to the extracurricular events as far as Malibu, all experiences have been memorable and have contributed to my global perspective. I feel that without these moments of wisdom and learning, I would not be the same multi-faceted and universally driven person that I am today. I have proposed to help and support those who are not as privileged as me in their education, I have opened up my hobby of photography towards a more meaningful goal, I have helped a talented writer tell her life story of crossing the frontier as a child. Through all these actions however, I have found happiness not with the things that I have accomplished, but rather with those that I have affected positively.
With Global Scholars, I have gained access to a plethora of new communities each with a new perspective to learn more about and to internalize. The GIP events that have been organized by peers have all been so memorable. In some shape or form, the information being presented in these events seems familiar and easier to access simply because it is presented by a person that is close to me. Because of this, the information can better  resonates with the audience because the event becomes more like a conversation rather than a lecture. The first event that comes to mind is Ian Kim's Russia presentation that was adequately professional but also familiar in the sense that one did not have to be an expert on Russian affairs in order to follow the discussion. In addition to familiar presentations, my peers have also been impactful in their presentations. A presentation that embodies this characteristic perfectly is Victor and Ian's who brought members from all different communities and demographics to work on the housing crisis in Los Angeles. With my photography project I was glad that I could advocate for the most important and pressing issue in the world with something I love doing. Finally, in my own event, I was able to introduce a Latino voice into the Poly community. Because of my Spanish-speaking background, I was able to introduce Reyna Grande to the English speaking community at Poly but also to surrounding communities that were Spanish-speaking. Because there were two versions of the presentation, I felt like Reyna Grande's message was able to reach a greater portion of the Pasadena area.
Overall, Global Scholars gave me the opportunities to understand my priorities as an educated male in the US. I understand now that my identity and my ideas can become a reality.As I go into college, I hope that the wisdom I've acquired and the networking I've done with my peers can enable me to follow my passions and change  the lives of others. Thank you to Mr. Caragher and Mrs. Diederich for an amazing year.

-Diego J

Comments

Popular Posts